Thursday, March 26, 2009

I think I am the only one posting here, but I like to read, so I will continue to post books that I have read.

I like to get on Amazon.com and browse through the best seller lists or recommendation lists to get some ideas about new books or authors I may not have heard of. One such recommendation was for “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society”, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

This delightful little book takes place in London and on Guernsey Island in the English Channel at the end of WWII. The book is comprised entirely of letters written back and forth, with each letter telling a bit of the story of life in a Nazi occupied town.

Although the book is written only through letters, it flows well and the story line is easy to follow. There are humorous anecdotes about the quirky characters but also heartbreaking letters about humanity and heroism as the islanders helped each other during the war.

Don’t let the weird title scare you away…this book is witty, engaging, sad, thought provoking, and kept me gripped to the end. I loved all the characters and wanted to continue reading about their lives. So…read it!

2 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I just ordered two books from amazon that you recommended. The one about the plague, and the one about the lady from rwanda. too lazy to go double check the titles.

Nancy said...

The books you recommend are good...so I will think about this one also. Loved the Year of Wonders.