Saturday, June 28, 2008

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer


I just finished this true story about several teams of climbers who ascended Mount Everest led by guides. I really enjoyed it but I also have a certain fascination with why people would want to climb Mount Everest.

The man who wrote the book was part of the expedition and gave a very detailed account including dates, times, locations, and even the elevation.

It was very well written and while it was sad that so many people died, it was interesting enough to keep me captivated for a good portion of it.

But I still don't understand why anyone would want to climb that death trap of a mountain.

5 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I liked this book too. It made me feel exhausted after reading it, and confident that I would never hike Everest.

Nancy said...

I read the book a few years ago. I still remember feeling hard to breathe and uncomfortably cold....of course it was all in my head. I'm with you. Why WOULD anyone want to put themselves through such a thing?! I'm not very adventurous I suppose. It was very well written.

Nancy said...

Uh..be careful about reading any more by this author. He's written a book that's not favorable to the LDS religion. It made me disappointed in him.

Becky said...

I liked this book, too. I agree! Why climb it? Some people love that kind of adventure and risk (not me).

Shiloh McKinnon said...

I am with you there. No Mt. Everest for me.