Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less by Terry Ryan


What a great read! This memoir is written by a daughter about her mother, and how she was able to earn money and put food on the table for 10 kids, by "contesting" in the 1950s. She sent in entries containing poems, jingles and finishing slogans for all kinds of companies and brands. This contest wins earned her family cash prizes, appliances, vacations, cars, etc. The money was much needed as the Father was an alcoholic and spent most of their income on booze. It was fun and touching and not as depressing as other novels about Irish Catholic drunks (there seem to be a lot of those). It was also made into a movie, which I haven't seen yet, but is now in my Netflix queue.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I saw the movie at Becky's house. It was great, but I bet the book was better. It always is.

Becky said...

The book was better.

Miss Stace said...

Do you still have the book? I wanna borrow it.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I checked it out from my local library.