Friday, July 11, 2008

Children's Books

I know not all of us have kids, but we all love to read. I thought I would post some of our favorite kid's books and then hopefully get more from you to add to our reading repertoire.
Right now my kids (ages 3 and 5) really love "I Spy" books, Arthur, Franklin, and Megan (3) loves anything Princess or Ballerina. We recently found "Belinda the Ballerina" books by Amy Young about a ballerina with big old feet who can still dance and both my kids love them. Here is a list of some more favorites. Please share your faves!

-Hooway for Wodney Wat, by Helen Lester
-Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems
-Click, Clack, Moo Cows that type, by Doreen Cronin
-Going to Bed Book, by Sandra Boynton (most of her books are great)
-Good Night Gorilla, by Peggy Rathmann
-The Pigs's Picnic, by Keiko Kasza
-If you give a pig a pancake, by Laura Numeroff (all the books in the series are good)
-Dog's Colorful Day, by Emma Dodd
-Are You My Mother?, by P.D. Eastman
-Corduroy, by Don Freeman
-Tacky the Penguin, by Helen Lester (ALL the Tacky books are HILARIOUS!)
-Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Leaf
-Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer
-Eric Carle books (these are great because they usually have an interactive element at the end, like a click beetle and then the book has a clicking sound, etc)
-Arthur books by Marc Brown
-Franklin books by by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark

2 comments:

Nancy said...

The books you've listed are great. Garrett is almost ready for "The Stinky Cheese Man". Graham Base has a wonderful ABC book...look for it next time you go to the library. I read Miss Nelson is Missing to my children the first day of school. Angelina Ballerina for Megan. Read some Chris Van Allsburg to them....especially Jumanji. I mainly read chapter books to the second graders. And I'm not at school so can't see my collection although the picture books in my room are extensive. Wish I was there. (NOT!)

Anonymous said...

Thank's for the great article. :)

You might like to check out Bayard's range of children's books.

In this month's issues StoryBox has Helen Oxenbury guest illustrating, DiscoveryBox has an Olympics Special and there are also some great Rainy Day Activities!

My kids seem to really be getting on with them well.

Thanks again for the great article!