Thursday, July 17, 2008



My friend loaned me this book...Stolen Innoncence...My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs.....by Elissa Wall. It was fascinating. I usually don't do this, but I basically took a whole day and night off and just read. It was easy reading but really held my interest because Warren Jeffs is so much in the news here still. I'll never travel past Colorado City or Hilldale again and look at it the same way. This poor girl was forced into marriage at the age of 14 and it wasn't until she was 17 that she could break free of the FLDS religious sect. It made it more clear to me the mindset of the people there and in Eldorado, Texas at the Yearning for Zion camp, where they had the raid a couple of months ago. I liked it so well I sent a copy to Ella Mae for her birthday. I sent it when I wasn't quite through reading it, and now I do have to make a disclosure about the end which gets just a tiny bit explicit in what happened to the poor girl. Oh well. She'll now know I am a heathen daughter-in-law.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'll put it on hold at the library! (I'm curious about the end...)

Miss Stace said...

haha HEATHEN mother as well.

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

you crack me up, nancy! i'm a heathen niece so no worries. i'm interested to read this, now. thanks! :)