Monday, March 24, 2008

Some All Time Favorites



Two of my favorite books are by Barbara Kingsolver. The Poisonwood Bible is about a crazy preacher who goes to Africa to try and convert the "poor native". He mistreats his family but justifies the means to an end. I love stories that are memoir type books, and to have one about Africa was a bonus. I guess this one really wasn't a memoir but written like one. Her other book I liked was The Bean Trees. A little Native American child left by a mom who couldn't care for her and raised by a woman who found her. The child's name was "Turtle". Isn't that sweet?

3 comments:

Becky said...

LOVED the Poisonwood Bible. Sad to me, but a good ending.
I started the Bean Trees but never finished for some reason. I think I will try again.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I liked both of these books too.

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

those are now added to my list. i like stories from africa, too.